Here is a quick checklist to help with processing inter-library loan and document supply (ILDS) requests.
Step 1 - check the reference is complete
You may find some requests take the form of a link to the online version of the journal, for example https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1816150. Click on the link to find the details. If link isn’t working, ask for a complete reference.
Step 2 - find the full text of the article
Deciding where to look for full text can be quite daunting, so stick to a standard sequence of locations. Check your local practice for this. The following is a logical sequence:
Your library holdings, NHS Core Content, locally / regionally purchased online subscriptions.
Your regional ILDS network
Other regional ILDS networks following the INC scheme rota
Failing the above you can send your request to [email protected] (you need to join this mailing list before you can send to it)
The British Library, and for Copyright Fee Paid articles use a BL CFP account or Reprints Desk
Step 3 - send your request to another location
Make sure you request includes the following details:
- Full reference details:
- Journal title, year, volume, (part), page number
- Article title and author
- Your postal address, phone number, and email address
- The name of your regional ILDS scheme and your library code, for example EDEN WSH
Abide by ILL etiquette/ guidelines
- Send no more than 3 requests to one location per day
- Telephone in advance for exceptionally long articles. You can find library contact details on HLISD
- Always acknowledge receipt of an article once you have checked it
- Read the ILDS good practice guidelines
Page last reviewed: 3 May 2022