OpenAthens and the Ovid Discovery Service Link Resolver ensure that users have access to the content they are authorised to use.
More information about authentication and link resolving systems is available.
Jump to Section
There are local, regional, and national administrators. The regional and national administrators are:
London, Kent, Surrey and Sussex
South (Thames Valley and Wessex)
Local administrators with OpenAthens or Link Resolver problems should report them to their regional OpenAthens and Link Resolver administrator(s).
- Contact your regional OA administrator. You will be emailed a GDPR statement
- Send a reply to the email to [email protected] stating that you understand and agree to use the data as set out in this statement.
- If you are the administrator for multiple organisations, you only need to reply once, indicating the organisations for which you are responsible.
- If you share administrator duties with anyone else, they must also follow steps 2-3.
- OpenAthens administrator instructions – for local administrators outlining key tasks and responsibilities
- OpenAthens administrator frequently asked questions - including processes, managing user accounts, managing resources, and reporting
- OpenAthens demonstration videos – covers local administrator functions (not NHS specific)
- OpenAthens VLE – online learning tool for local administrators (not NHS specific)
- OpenAthens eligibility – who is entitled to register for NHS OpenAthens
- NHS OpenAthens for health and medical students at higher education institutions – please also see the sub-pages About OpenAthens and Participating HEIs
Contact [email protected] for the instructions an accessible format.
- Account totals for each OpenAthens organisation
- Account totals for each OpenAthens organisation as a % of organisational headcount*
- Unique successful account authentications for each OpenAthens organisation
- % of accounts being used (unique successful logins / total number of accounts x 100)
*Note that trust headcounts are taken from NHS Digital workforce data for January each year. They will not include students on placement within trusts and may not account for changes or mergers that may have taken place during the year.
You may need to click ‘Enable Editing’ in order to view the charts in full.
To compare your organisation with others:
- Go to the organisational pivot tables tab
- Pick the chart of interest
- Click on the grey ‘organisation’ tab
- Deselect all organisations and select the ones you are interested in
Note that you will need to ‘Unprotect’ the spreadsheet/allow editing to do this.
OpenAthens resource transfer data is not a reliable indicator and you should use supplier statistics instead.
NALROM manages OpenAthens authentication and the national link resolver for NHS libraries in England.
Page last reviewed: 1 July 2021