Demonstrate the significant contribution of knowledge and library services to achieving the vision of Knowledge for Healthcare
The Evaluation Framework has been developed to measure our achievement through phase 2 of Knowledge for Healthcare.
It provides a coherent approach to measuring the impact of Knowledge for Healthcare.
The Framework is based on the premise that it is usually very difficult to provide clear evidence of impact in complex systems such as healthcare.
The approach taken is to identify a series of indicators, which when taken together as a whole, would suggest that progress is being made in a particular area.
The Evaluation Framework defines six impact objectives, each offering a clear statement of difference that will be made as Knowledge for Healthcare is successfully implemented.
Non-urgent advice: The six Evaluation Framework objectives
- Healthcare organisations mobilise evidence and internally generated knowledge to enable evidence-based policy and practice
- The healthcare workforce and learners receive high quality knowledge and library services
- Staff, learners, patients and the public are equipped to use evidence-based patient, health and wellbeing information for shared decision making and self-care
- NHS-funded knowledge and library services are equitable, efficient and productive
- The knowledge and library services workforce has the capability, confidence and capacity to meet the evolving knowledge and information needs of the healthcare system
- Partnership working is the norm in delivering knowledge to the healthcare system
This evidence-based Framework is modelled on the Impact Planning Assessment (1) used internationally with the Global Libraries Programme of the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
Development and design of the framework has been facilitated with the support of Sharon Markless (2) of Kings College London.
1 Streatfield, D. and Markless, S. What is impact assessment and why is it important? Performance Measurement and Metrics. 2009; 10(2): 134-141. https://doi.org/10.1108/14678040911005473